Tuesday 5 August 2014


 All about me!

Greetings!  This is my very first blog and will be part of my assessment for CRN600, Youth, Popular Culture and Texts, one of my subjects in the Master of Education course I am undertaking through Queensland University of Technology.

Let me introduce myself to you.  My name is Melanie, I am about to turn 49.  I am married to the love of my life, Daryl.  Daryl and I have been together for 27 years and married for 21.5 years.  The picture above is of the two most important youths in our life: our daughters.  This photo was taken in February last year on the Isle of Pines - they have grown considerably since then!  Motivation to undertake this particular subject is due to my eldest daughter who is 14.  I want to understand "her world" a little better and thought this was a great way to do so.

I am in the Inclusive Education stream of the Master of Education and understand the importance "fitting in" is to all of us, whether young or old, but it is young people whose search for inclusion is more complex.  Young people have to deal with an influx of hormones; pimples; interest in boys/girls; mood swings; anxiety; feelings of isolation and difference due to learning and/or physical disabilities; there is just so much change happening to them, and around them, that having an understanding of their interests, or that of their peers, can assist us with getting to know them a little better and perhaps give us a little insight into how they perceive the world we all live in.

I worked as a secretary/PA for many organisations from 1982, such as World Vision of Australia and Britain; various Government departments and other companies in London.  In 1992 I commenced a Bachelor of Education (Secondary) (Environmental Science) at the University of Melbourne and graduated at the end of 1995.  I commenced teaching Science and Information Technology in 1996-2000.  I resigned from teaching to become a stay at home mum and have been dedicated to my two daughters for the past 15 years.

Since June last year I have been involved in tutoring children who have been diagnosed with mild Autism or other learning difficulties.  This course has provided me with excellent tools to use with my students and I intend on continuing my tutoring once the course is completed.

I am extremely interested in working with young people who have learning disabilities; ASD or behavioural problems and would like to work closely with other teachers to assist them in becoming excellent inclusive educators. Having knowledge of what is current in terms of popular culture, texts and young people, is, I believe, fundamental to being able to provide relevant learning experiences to all students, including those who are marginal in our classrooms.

Throughout this course I will be blogging about things I am reading; watching or listening to in relation to Youth, Popular Culture and Texts.  I am looking forward to the journey.

Photo: Family photo (my daughters)





No comments:

Post a Comment