Thursday 9 October 2014


 

What's popular with kids these days?

I thought I knew what today's kids were into - after all I have one of their representatives living in my home - my very own 14.6 year old daughter!  But how wrong I was!  Up until doing this subject, I have to admit that, I was pretty much in the dark when it came to what teenagers were into.  I only discovered what 'trending' meant 6 weeks ago and my knowledge of social media sites consisted of Facebook and Instagram.  Yes I had heard of the Hunger Games and Harry Potter, both of which I also loved, but video games I knew nothing about with the exception of Mario Kart!

This experience has helped me bond with my daughter, although I believe she preferred her mother to be in the 'dark' and feels as though I have robbed her in some way, but it is fun to discuss things together and discover that sometimes I know just a little bit more than her about certain subjects!

My Pinterest board: Youth, culture and popular texts, shows the things that my daughter and her friends have interest in.  They do not necessarily all use, listen to, read, or watch all of these things; nor possess all of them, but they do represent what they know about and are interested in and what they know others are into.  So click on my link and check out what's cool in my teenager's domain.

Link to my Pinterest Page:
Youth, Culture and Popular Texts - Pinterest Board

Photo retrieved from:  http://blog.europeana.eu/2012/03/pinterest-for-glams-europeanas-experiment/

No comments:

Post a Comment